Skip Navigation

How Cleaning Solutions Affect You

How Cleaning Solutions Affect You

Many of the cleaning products available in your local supermarket contain lots of harsh chemicals.

Most of the time you might not feel like cleaning your home. That’s okay because everyone has a busy schedule and there needs to be time built-in where you just relax. That’s why professional cleaning services are gaining in popularity. But when you go to use some basic cleaning solutions, you might not understand how much they are affecting you.


The smell of ammonia can make many people sick. Some people are just as sensitive to it as they are the smell of bleach. Ammonia is also commonly used to clean sinks, jewelry, and fixtures in your bathroom. Did you know that it makes a great window cleaner, too? That’s because it won’t leave streaks behind. But for anyone with asthma or other respiratory conditions, ammonia can be highly dangerous. Never mix ammonia with bleach, either! Although it’s easy to think that putting the two substances together increases their cleaning potential, it actually creates a toxic gas instead.


Now let’s look at nitrobenzene. While many homeowners may know what ammonia is and what it does, they might not be as familiar with nitrobenzene when it comes to household cleaning solutions. Floor and furniture polishes include this as one of their most common ingredients. But it can cause birth defects, cancer, poisoning, and even death.


If you rely on disinfectants when you clean and sanitize your home, then you have already used phenol. You might just not know it yet. This chemical is also toxic, and it can affect the delicate balance of bacteria in your home. Good bacteria is killed off and their harmful counterparts have more space to take over. Plus, other nasty complications from phenol exposure include heart damage, eye damage, and damage to vital internal organs such as your kidneys and liver.

Hydrochloric Acid

Finally, let’s take a look at hydrochloric acid. This substance is also called sodium acid sulfate. If you’re not careful, you could burn your skin. You could also blind yourself, completely by accident. These acids are commonly used in toilet bowl cleaners, so be sure to wash your hands and wear goggles if you need to, just in case!


For over 27 years, Ivete’s Cleaning Service has served clients throughout Montgomery, Howard, and Fairfax Counties and their surrounding areas in Maryland, Washington DC, and Northern Virginia. Our goal is absolute satisfaction, and we strive to provide excellent service to every one of our customers. Our house cleaning plans are customized to your needs. We also offer expert commercial cleaning for your convenience during the busy months ahead. To schedule your cleaning consultation, or ask questions about our services, please call 301-518-7172 or request a free estimate online. Be sure to visit our Specials page for special offers on both residential and office cleaning services!

This entry was posted on Friday, September 6th, 2019 at 9:42 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.


COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS: We are fully equipped and trained to follow CDC precautions and ensure our clients’ safety and our own. In these challenging times, we take all appropriate safety measures, using approved disinfectant products and disposable gear including gloves, masks and shoe covers. We take temperatures daily, acting prudently in our day-to-day operations, providing the utmost respect and care in all aspects of our work.